Tuesday, April 24, 2012


In writing an article for DAME magazine on the art and culture of the Occupy movement, I've been in contact with a number of amazing artists across all sorts of disciplines, from music to cartooning to painting to poetry. One of the posters I'd always especially admired was "Tip of the Iceberg," created by Dave Loewenstein, a muralist, writer and printmaker based in Lawrence, Kansas. He's done wonderful community artwork, including leading the creation of a mural in Joplin, MO – planned before the devastating tornado that nearly destroyed the town. Residents picked up brushes amid the chaos of rebuilding, and together, painted hope.



Loewenstein was one among many artists who were compelled to document the Occupy protests. His posters are among the movement's most iconic – pure in form and intent, powerful metaphors. Dave mused in an email, "No one asked me to make a poster. It was a natural response... I felt a strong affinity for both the process (horizontal) and purpose (to create a more equitable and caring society), and I wanted to support and help articulate those ideas."


He continued: "I hope that my posters, and the many other excellent ones being produced, will help spread the spirit of the movement and begin to bring to it a poetic visual language that amplifies its many messages and inspires those involved. I believe that visual art, like poetry and song, has great power to energize, condemn, and question; and that part of my role as an artist, living here and now, is to have my work speak in service of the struggles and movements I support."

No comments:

Post a Comment